Bringing your personal values into your business life can be a beneficial way to ensure you’re not compromising your values while at work. Take the view and values that Google has for their employees. Aside from the colourful and open atmosphere of offices, those working at Google get to experience perks like being fed on the job, access to microkitchens, free shuttle service and a bonus when you have a child (“baby bonding bonus”) to help cover added expenses of a child. The personal values of many CEOs in the business world are naturally reflected in the way they run their company. While not all of us are managing a multibillion dollar company, the discipline and daily routines that successful people follow, can often just as easily be implemented by us.
While everyone’s daily habits are based on constraints of work schedules or other responsibilities, whenever possible, shift your lifestyle into allowing you to be an early riser. Research consistently shows that utilizing the morning hours is an effective way that ultra-successful people benefit and stand out from others. Here are some of the most popular ways to effectively spend your morning even before heading off to work!
- Drink Lemon Water- Drinking lemon water once you wake up can boost your mental and physical energy levels. For this to work best, drink a glass of lemon water as soon as you wake up, before you’ve eaten.
- Exercise- Exercising early in the morning is a common habit for early risers. While this may seem like an impossible routine to get into, research supports the benefits of early morning workouts. These benefits can be seen academically, socially, in athletic performance and can lead to more energy and a more positive outlook on life. These improvements can subsequently lead to more efficiency at work, making you stand out in positive ways. Exercising releases neurotransmitters that control impulses, so getting active in the morning can also help with self-control and impulsivity throughout the day.
- Disconnect- Although checking emails may be one of the first things you do after waking up, dedicate part of your early morning to the people you value, like your family. Waking up and immediately spending time checking your Instagram feed or surfing the web can start your day in an unfocussed and unproductive way. If you’re going to set your alarm early with the goal of improving efficiency, set this tone within moments of waking up.
- Eat a Healthy Breakfast- If you’re already eating some type of breakfast you’re a step ahead of many people! Those who eat breakfast tend to be less hungry over the day and have more stable blood-sugar levels. Once you amp up your breakfast to being a healthy one, it can result in increased energy, improved short-term memory and concentration for long periods of time.
- Practice Mindfulness- Mindfulness practices have become increasingly popular among highly successful individuals. Its noticeable effects have also become especially evident in the business world with many CEOs practicing daily mindfulness meditation since the results translate to productiveness and well-being, a necessary balance for anyone striving for continued success. The long list of mindfulness benefits includes decreased stress, boosting creativity and increased emotional intelligence, it has also been found to help regulate emotions.
- Set Realistic Goals For The Day- Setting realistic goals can include making a to do list and creating a general list of overall goals that you want to accomplish during the day. When your day is well planned, you have an increased chance of accomplishing your goals, IF you set goals that are realistic based on your available time. Making specific tasks helps to ensure your overall goal is manageable. Think of the commonly used acronym SMART tasks, Specific, Measureable, Attainable, Relevant and Time Based. Setting SMART tasks allows you to be held accountable while ensuring that the things filling your to do list are important and realistic.
- Say No- Learning to be assertive and say no when you need to is one way to ensure that you uphold your existing commitments. Avoid using phases like “I’m not sure”, “I don’t think I’ll have time”. Clearly communicate your limits so that you don’t take on more than you can handle.
- Bring it All Together- Weaving the above strategies into a smooth morning routine is essential, but it may take some time to find out what works best for you. Incorporate these strategies as much as you can into the habits you’ve already formed that work well for you.