If you're looking for something a little different, this month's recipe card should have you excited. Here's what you can look forward to in this month's truLOCAL boxes! Another unique dish from our favourite nutritionist, Steph Kay , has your June covered with this delicious recipe!
"Asian Chicken Lettuce Wraps are a popular restaurant choice, and the good news is they are just as delicious and easy to make at home! Lettuce wraps are a great choice because they are loaded with protein, fresh veggies and a ton of flavour, making them a great party appetizer or dinner for a crowd. Not only are they tasty, but ready in 30 minutes or less they making them the perfect weeknight meal!"
Time: 30 minutes
1 lb. ground chicken
1 tbsp. coconut oil or butter
4 cloves garlic, minced
2" fresh ginger, grated or minced
3 spring onions, chopped
2 tbsp. tamari (gluten-free)
2 tsp. honey
2 tsp. sesame oil
1/2 tsp. crushed chilli flakes (optional)
1 lime, juiced
1 head iceberg or boston lettuce
2 carrots, julienned
1/4 red cabbage, julienned
1 red bell pepper, julienned
1 cup bean sprouts
Fresh lime, quartered
1. In a bowl, stir together tamari, honey, sesame oil and lime juice. Set aside.
2. In a pan, heat coconut oil on a medium heat and add the garlic, ginger, and green onion.
3. Cook gently, stirring occasionally for about 2 minutes.
4. Add the ground chicken to the pan and cook until chicken is no longer pink, about 5 minutes.
5. Add the marinade mixture to the pan and allow to cook for another 1-2 minutes until well
combined. (For a crispier texture, allow the chicken to cook an additional 3-4 minutes until
slightly brown but not burnt.)
6. Once the chicken is cooked, remove the pan from the heat and set aside to serve.
7. To serve, spoon about 1/4 cup of the mixture into a large lettuce leaf and serve with the
toppings of your choice. (You can keep the vegetables toppings raw for extra crunch, or gently
stir-fry them in a little oil and add them cooked if you prefer.)
8. Serve warm and enjoy!
TOOLS: Cast Iron Skillet, knife, peeler, spatula
PRESENTATION: Platter or cutting board, limes, bowl and spoon