Savoury Green Breakfast Bowl
We hear it over and over again; "breakfast is the most important meal of the day". Life is busy, and fitting in a healthy breakfast isn't always as easy it sounds. We know that mornings are crazy, so we've got you covered with this quick and healthy Savoury Green Breakfast Bowl recipe by Stephanie Kay Nutrition.
Convenient, monthly meat deliveries paired with simple healthy recipes... and you're set to go.
This savoury Green Breakfast Bowl is a great way to use leftover quinoa or rice from dinner for a delicious and filling morning breakfast. This recipe was done with poached eggs but fried or scrambled also work just as well, and depending on how hungry you are, simply adjust the number of slices of bacon and number of eggs to suit your needs.
Time: 15 minutes
- Trim the stem ends of the kale, remove tough stems and cut crosswise into ½ inch-wide pieces. Wash and dry the kale, set aside.
- In a cast iron skillet or pan on medium-high heat, add sliced the bacon and cook until crisp.
- Once the bacon is almost cooked, reduce heat to medium and add chopped kale to the pan with a pinch of sea salt and black pepper. Cook for 3-4 minutes until kale is wilted and bright green, set aside.
- Fill a separate saucepan about 2/3 full with water and bring to a boil. Once boiling, turn down to a simmer.
- One at a time, crack the eggs into a small measuring cup and carefully lower the egg into the water and then tip it out into the water. Repeat with as many eggs as desired.
- Poach eggs to your liking; 2 minutes for very soft eggs, 3 minutes for medium, and 4-5 minutes for a harder yolk.
- While the eggs are cooking, begin to assemble your bowl; add cooked quinoa and layer with kale and bacon mixture.
- Using a slotted spoon remove eggs from the boiling water, lightly pat dry and transfer them to you bowl.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper and serve as is, or with a dollop of pesto or hot sauce for extra flavour.