Juice and tender pork meatballs in a rich and creamy gravy, these classic Swedish meatballs are the perfect way to warm up on a cold winter day. These meatballs could be made gluten-free by simply omitting the breadcrumbs or opting for a gluten-free version.
Time: 1 hour
- 1lb ground pork
- 1 small onion, minced
- ¼ cup breadcrumbs
- 1 egg
- ¼ teaspoon all spice
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups beef broth
- ¼ cup heavy cream
- Sea salt
- Black pepper
- Fresh parsley, roughly chopped
- In a large bowl, combine the ground pork, onion, breadcrumbs, egg, all spice, nutmeg, salt and pepper. Using your hands, work the ingredients together until well combined.
- Using your hands, roll pork mixture into evenly sized meatballs. There should be enough meat to make 20 small meatballs, about 1.5 tablespoons of the meat mixture per meatball.
- Warm olive oil in a large skillet on medium-high heat. Add meatballs to the skillet in batches (about 5 at a time) to cook, turning continuously, until brown on all sides. Once cooked, remove from the skillet and set aside on a plate until all of the meatballs have been cooked.
- Once all of the meatballs have been cooked, make the sauce. In the same skillet with the pork drippings, melt butter, once melted add the flour and whisk to combine to form a roux.
- Slowly add broth in batches, whisking to combine with the roux to create a gravy, until all of the broth has been added. Allow to simmer for 3-4 minutes, whisking constantly, until gravy has thickened slightly.
- Add heavy cream, season with salt and pepper to taste, stirring until the cream is well combined in the sauce.
- Return meatballs to the skillet, reduce the heat to a simmer, and allow to cook for an additional 8-10 minutes, until sauce has thickened and meatballs are warm.
- Serve immediately with a sprinkle of fresh chopped parsley.
Note: Roux is flour and fat cooked together used to thicken sauces.
Stephanie Kay Nutrition