Spicy Garlic Shrimp with Polenta
Putting the spotlight on our delicious wild-caught shrimp with a spicy kick, this is the perfect meal to pull you out of the comfort foods of winter and “march” right into the flavourful nice-weather meals of early spring.
See more from Stephanie Kay at www.kaynutrition.com
- 20 frozen shrimp (16-20)
- half tbsp olive oil
- one onion, diced
- four cloves garlic, minced
- half tsp crushed chilies
- half tsp oregano
- 680 ml passata
- sea salt
- black pepper
- fresh basil, to serve
- one cup polenta
- five cups water
- four tbsp butter
- quarter cup parmesan cheese
- sea salt
1. Begin by making the polenta. In a pot, combine polenta, water and a pinch of salt, and bring to a boil. Once boiling, reduce to a simmer, and cook for 30-40 minutes, whisking frequently to prevent it from sticking to the bottom or forming clumps.
2. While the polenta is cooking, prepare the tomato sauce. In a large skillet on medium heat, add olive oil and onion and cook for 4-5 minutes until onions are tender.
3. Once the onions are cooked, add garlic and cook for an additional 2-3 minutes. Add crushed chillies, oregano and a pinch of sea salt, and continue to cook for another 30 seconds until fragrant.
4. Pour in passata, reduce heat to a simmer and cook for 20 minutes.
5. Once the tomato sauce has cooked, add frozen shrimp for a final 5-6 minutes until they are tender and bright pink in colour.
6. While the shrimp are cooking, finish the polenta by adding butter and parmesan cheese, whisking to ensure that everything is well combined and polenta is creamy.
7. Season the shrimp mixute and polenta with extra salt and pepper to taste.
8. To serve, divide the polenta among bowls, top with shrimp mixture and serve with a sprinkle of fresh basil and parmesan cheese.