Beef & Mushroom Risotto
Broth is a great way to add an extra depth of flavour to a dish without adding any meat at all. Use truLOCAL bones to make your own broth, or add a bag of our beef bone broth to whip up this warm and hearty meal.
- four cups mixed mushrooms, sliced
- two shallots, minced
- one clove garlic, minced
- two tablespoons butter
- two tablespoons olive oil
- one cup arborio rice
- four cups beef broth
- half cup fresh parmesan cheese, grated
- sea salt
- black pepper
- fresh parsley, roughly chopped, to serve
1. In a large saucepan on medium, heat half of the butter and olive oil, add mushrooms, season with a pinch of salt, and cook for 4-5 minutes until tender and have reduced in size. Remove the mushrooms from the pan and set aside.
2. In the same pan, add the remaining butter and olive oil, add shallots and garlic, and cook on medium heat for 3-4 minutes until shallots are translucent.
3. Add rice, stir to combine, and cook for an additional 1 minute.
4. Reduce heat to medium-low and add ½ cup of broth. Cook, stirring gently until all of the liquid is absorbed. Add remaining broth in ½ cup batches at a time, stirring until all of the liquid is absorbed, before adding more, until all of the broth has been absorbed and the rice is tender, approximately 30-35 minutes. (Depending on your rice, you may need to add more broth or water. Just continue to add liquid until the rice is well cooked with a rich and creamy texture.)
5. Once all of the liquid has been absorbed, return mushrooms to the pan, along with parmesan cheese, and stir to combine.
6. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve immediately with more parmesan cheese and freshly chopped parsley on top as desired.