Chicken Sausage Skillet
This one-pan dish is perfect for any weeknight meal! Although this recipe calls for white beans, you could also use a pasta of your choice, such a penne, if you prefer.
- four chicken sausages
- two 14 oz cans white kidney beans, strained and rinsed
- two tablespoons olive oil
- one white onion, diced
- four cloves garlic, minced
- one red bell pepper, sliced
- one teaspoon oregano
- one teaspoon thyme
- half teaspoon fennel seeds, crushed
- half teaspoon crushed chillies (optional)
- four tomatoes, diced
- two tablespoons tomato paste
- quarter cup water
- half teaspoon sea salt
- quarter teaspoon black pepper
- fresh basil, to serve
1. Heat a drizzle of olive oil in a large skillet on medium heat, add sausages and cook until golden on all sides. Once cooked through, remove from the pan and set aside.
2. In the same skillet, add another drizzle of olive oil along with onions and garlic and cook for 3-4 minutes until tender. Add oregano, thyme, fennel and chillies and cook for an additional minute until fragrant.
3. Add bell pepper and diced tomatoes, season with salt and pepper, and cook until peppers are tender.
4. Once vegetables are tender, stir in tomato paste and water until well combined. (Add additional water as needed.)
5. Slice sausages into ¼ or ½ inch pieces and add to the sauce to simmer on low for 10 minutes.
6. Add beans to the skillet and gently stir in to combine. Allow to cook for an additional 5 minutes until sauce has thickened, and season with additional salt and pepper to taste.
7. Garnish with fresh chopped basil to serve.