Liver & Wild Mushrooms on Toast
Paired with fresh herbs, bacon and crispy sourdough, this recipe is sure to convert anyone to a liver lover!
See more from Stephanie Kay at www.kaynutrition.com
- one lb beef liver
- four slices bacon, thinly sliced
- one tbsp olive oil
- two tbsp butter
- one shallot, minced
- one clove garlic, minced
- 400 g mixed mushrooms, sliced
- four sprigs thyme
- two sage leaves, minced
- one tsp Dijon mustard
- eight slices sourdough (4-8)
- one handful fresh parsley, chopped
- sea salt & black pepper to taste
1. In a cast iron skillet or large frying pan, warm olive oil on medium-high heat, add liver and cook for 2-3 minutes per side until, adding 1 tablespoon of butter to baste it during the cooking process.
2. Once cooked, remove the liver from the pan and transfer it to a plate covered with foil to rest for 5-10 minutes.
3. In the same pan, add bacon and cook for 1-2 minutes until cooked halfway through.
4. Then add onion, garlic, mushrooms, thyme and sage and cook for 3-5 minutes until the mushrooms are soft. When the mushrooms are almost done cooking, add the remaining butter and mustard, season with a pinch of salt and pepper, and stir to combine.
5. While the mushrooms are cooking, toast the sourdough in a toaster or under the broiler until crispy on both sides.
6. To serve, place liver slices on top of toasted sourdough, top with mushroom mixture and season with chopped parsley and additional salt and pepper to taste.