Chili Con Carne
Feeling a little "chili"? This chili con carne by Stephanie Kay Nutrition will warm you right up! Hearty, flavourful, and filling, this is the perfect meal for those cozy nights in.
- two tbsp olive oil or butter
- one onion, diced
- one red bell pepper, diced
- one jalapeño, seeded and minced
- one tbsp chili powder
- two tsp cumin
- one tsp oregano
- one tsp cayenne (optional, for extra heat)
- one tsp sea salt
- four cloves garlic, minced
- one lb ground beef
- two tbsp tomato paste
- one tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 14 can crushed tomatoes
- 14 can kidney beans, strained and rinsed
- one cup beef broth or stock
- sea salt and pepper, to taste
1. In a large Dutch oven or oven-proof pot on medium-high, heat the butter or olive oil.
2. Add onion, bell pepper and jalapeño to the pot and cook, stirring often, for 5-7 minutes until vegetables soften.
3. Add chili powder, cumin, oregano, cayenne (optional) sea salt and minced garlic, and cook for another 1 minute until fragrant.
4. Add ground beef and cook, breaking up the meat with a spoon until no longer pink, approximately 5 to 7 minutes.
5. Add in tomato paste and balsamic vinegar and mix to coat the beef. Add kidney beans and ½ cup broth, stir to combine, reduce heat and cover with lid to a low simmer for 20 minutes.
6. Pour in crushed tomatoes and remaining ½ cup broth, and continue to cook on a simmer for an additional 30 minutes.
7. Remove from heat and season to taste as needed.