Chili Con Carne
Feeling a little chili? This chili con carne by Stephanie Kay Nutrition will warm you right up! Hearty, flavourful, and filling, this is the perfect meal for those cozy nights in.
See more from Stephanie Kay at www.kaynutrition.com
- two tbsp olive oil or butter
- one onion, diced
- one red bell pepper, diced
- one jalapeño, seeded and minced
- one tbsp chili powder
- two tsp cumin
- one tsp oregano
- one tsp cayenne (optional, for extra heat)
- one tsp sea salt
- four cloves garlic, minced
- one lb ground beef
- two tbsp tomato paste
- one tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 14 can crushed tomatoes
- 14 can kidney beans, strained and rinsed
- one cup beef broth or stock
- sea salt and pepper, to taste
1. In a large Dutch oven or oven-proof pot on medium-high, heat the butter or olive oil.
2. Add onion, bell pepper and jalapeño to the pot and cook, stirring often, for 5-7 minutes until vegetables soften.
3. Add chili powder, cumin, oregano, cayenne (optional) sea salt and minced garlic, and cook for another 1 minute until fragrant.
4. Add ground beef and cook, breaking up the meat with a spoon until no longer pink, approximately 5 to 7 minutes.
5. Add in tomato paste and balsamic vinegar and mix to coat the beef. Add kidney beans and ½ cup broth, stir to combine, reduce heat and cover with lid to a low simmer for 20 minutes.
6. Pour in crushed tomatoes and remaining ½ cup broth, and continue to cook on a simmer for an additional 30 minutes.
7. Remove from heat and season to taste as needed.