Mexican Stuffed Peppers
All of the flavours of your favourite Mexican foods stuffed into one delicious bite! These Mexican Stuffed Peppers are a 90s dinner classic brought back to life with our delicious lean ground beef, and loaded with vegetables to make them a well balanced, low-carbohydrate meal. This recipe can easily feed a crowd or works well as a make-ahead meal to supply a week.
- one lb lean ground beef
- four bell peppers (red, yellow, or orange)
- one tbsp organic butter
- one tsp olive oil
- one red onion, diced
- four cloves garlic, minced
- one tsp cumin
- two tsp chilli powder
- one tsp paprika
- one tsp oregano
- one cup crushed tomatoes
- two tbsp tomato paste
- one cup black or kidney beans
- one cup frozen corn, thawed
- one cup cilantro, chopped
- fresh limes
- hot sauce
- queso fresco
1. Preheat the oven to 375° F.
2. Halve peppers vertically and remove any core or seeds. Brush pepper very lightly with olive oil and set on a baking sheet.
3. In a skillet, brown the ground beef. Cook until lightly brown and cooked about half way through. Remove from the pan, strain the excess fat and set ground beef aside.
4. In the same pan, heat butter on medium heat and add diced onion and garlic and cook for 3-5 minutes until onions become translucent.
5. Add cumin, chilli, paprika and oregano to the pan and cook for another 30 seconds until fragrant.
6. Add ground beef back to the pan and stir well to combine with the spice mixture. Season with sea salt.
7. Add crushed tomatoes and tomato paste, and stir well to combine. Simmer for 5-7 minutes on a low heat.
8. Add black beans, corn and cilantro to the beef mixture and stir well. Add more seasoning now if needed.
9. Stuff the peppers. Add the beef mixture to the peppers and lay flat on a baking sheet.
10. Cover the baking sheet with aluminum foil and bake in the oven for 30 minutes. Remove foil and bake for another 15-20 minutes until peppers are soft but not mushy. (For softer peppers, simply leave them another 10 minutes.)
11. Once cooked top peppers with desired toppings of your choice and serve with a large green salad.
TOOLS: Cast Iron Skillet, knife, can opener, strainer
PRESENTATION: Platter, avocado, limes