Chicken Sausage Minestrone Soup
Although this recipe calls for chicken sausages, you could easily use ground chicken or ground turkey if you prefer.
See more from Stephanie Kay at www.kaynutrition.com
- four chicken sausages
- two tbsp olive oil
- one onion, diced
- four carrots, peeled and diced
- two ribs celery, sliced
- four cloves garlic, minced
- one tsp thyme
- one tsp oregano
- one pinch chilli flakes
- 28 oz can diced tomatoes
- four cups chicken broth
- 19 oz can white beans, strained and rinsed
- two parmesan rinds*
- one bay leaf
- two cups kale
- parmesan cheese, to serve
1. In a large pot on medium-high heat, warm the olive oil.
2. Remove sausage meat from the casing and add it to the pot, breaking it up into small bite-size pieces, and cook for 5-6 minutes or until no longer pink. Once cooked, remove the sausage meat from the pot, add it a plate and set aside.
3. In the same pot, add the onion, carrots and celery and cook for 4-5 minutes until vegetables are tender.
4. Add garlic, thyme, oregano, chilli flakes and a pinch of salt and cook for an additional 1-2 minutes until fragrant.
5. Add diced tomatoes, stirring to combine with the vegetable mixture.
6. Add chicken broth, white beans, parmesan rind and bay leaf and stir to combine. Bring soup to a boil, cover, then reduce to a simmer and allow to cook for 30 minutes.
7. Add chopped kale, stir to combine, and allow to simmer for another 10 minutes until kale is bright green and tender. Remove parmesan rind and bay leaf.
8. Season with additional salt and pepper to taste and serve topped with freshly grated parmesan cheese.
NOTE: If you don’t have any leftover parmesan rind, simply slice the rind off of the end of a piece of fresh parmesan cheese.