Parsnip & Mushroom Beef Stew
A hearty one - pot beef stew filled with tender beef and earthy flavours!
See more from Stephanie Kay at www.kaynutrition.com
- one pound stewing beef
- one tbsp olive oil
- two slices bacon, sliced
- one yellow onion, diced
- four cloves garlic, minced
- one pound mushrooms, sliced
- two tsp dried thyme
- two tbsp all purpose flour
- two tbsp tomato paste
- one cup red wine
- three cups beef broth
- one bay lead
- three parsnips, peeled and sliced
- half cup pearl onion, peeled
- salt & pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 325°F.
- In a large Dutch oven or oven-proof pot on medium-high heat,warm the olive oil.
- Add sliced bacon and cook until crisp and browned, about 3 minutes. Once cooked, remove from the pot,transfer to a plate and set aside.
- Season the beef with a generous pinch of salt and pepper on all sides.In batches, transfer the beef to the pot and brown the meat on all sides, about 5 minutes. Once browned, remove from the pot, transfer to the plate with the bacon and set aside.
- In the same pot, add the onion and cook until tender, about 3-4 minutes.
- Add mushrooms,garlic and thyme and continue to cook, stirring frequently, until the mushrooms halve roughly reduce in size by half.
- Add red wine to deglaze the bottom of the pot and simmer for about 5 minutes. Use the back of a spoon or spatula to help scrape up anything stuck to the bottom.
- Return beef to the pot and stir well to combine with the vegetable mixture. Add flour and tomato paste and stir well to coat the beef.
- Cover mixture with beef broth,add parsnips, pearl onions and bay leaf and stir well to combine.
- Bring to a gentle boil, then reduce to a simmer and transfer to the oven for 1.5 to 2 hours or until beef is tender.
- Once cooked, remove the pot from the oven, remove bay leaf and allow to sit for 10-15 minutes before serving. This will help to thicken the sauce and bring the flavours together.
- Season with additional salt and pepper to taste.