Miso Chili Sausage Stuffed Squash
Nothing says hearty like sausage, egg and squash!
See more from Keren at www.kerenchen.ca
- one medium acorn squash, halved lengthwise and seeds removed
- one package breakfast sausage, removed from casing
- four cloves garlic, minced
- one small white onion, minced
- one tbsp Okazu sauce or chili sauce
- one tbsp miso
- two tbsp scallions, finely chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- two eggs
- Preheat the oven to 375F.
- Bake the 2 squash halves flesh side down on parchment lined paper for roughly 20 minutes until it’s soft in the middle.
- While that is happening, start a big pan over medium high heat.
- Heat up 1 tbsp ghee or healthy cooking fat, throw in onions and garlic and toss it around until it is aromatic.
- Add your sausage to the pan and break it up into a crumbly texture.
- Once the pork is about 80% cooked (slight pinkness left), add the miso and Okazu sauce, 1tbsp scallions and mix well with a little salt and pepper (remember the miso is salty).
- Cut the heat.
- Take the squash out of the oven when it’s cooked, scoop out the flesh carefully (don’t break the skin) and add to pan to mix thoroughly.
- Scoop this squash sausage mixture back into the shells. Pack it firmly -you may end up with leftovers, you can bake those as little meatballs or an extra mini casserole along side the stuffed squash.
- Make a little well in the middle of the squash-sausage mixture and crack an egg into it.
- Put this back in the oven for 6-10mins at 375F or until the egg cooks and the sausage-squash mixture sets.
- Garnish with scallions and enjoy!