One Pot Pesto Chicken Penne
One pan pasta dish? Sign us up! All the flavour, minus the dishes!
See more from Surbhi at kitskitchenkrush
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into cubes
- 2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1 yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 1 lb dried penne pasta
- 4 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 1⁄2 cup pesto sauce
- 4 cups baby spinach
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh basil
- 1 tbsp oil
- In a soup pot, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Add the chicken and season it with salt and pepper to taste. Cook, stirring often, until it becomes golden, about 6-8 minutes. Once the chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165’F, remove it from pan and set aside.
- In the same pot, add the onion and cook, stirring until it becomes soft and translucent, about 2 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for another 30 seconds. Add the penne and the chicken broth. Bring the mixture to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to medium, cover, and cook, stirring every 1 to 2 minutes, until the pasta is tender and liquid has almost been completely absorbed, about 10-12 minutes.
- Stir in the pesto sauce, cooked chicken, baby spinach, and peas. Cook, stirring constantly, until the spinach is wilted and the peas are just heated through, another 3 minutes.
- Serve immediately topped with the fresh basil or store it in refrigerator for up to 3 days.