Candied Bacon French Toast
The perfect mix of sweet and tangy, this is a simple way to elevate your breakfast and make the first meal of the day feel luxurious and gourmet.
- four slices bacon
- two tbsp brown sugar
- two tbsp maple syrup
- black pepper
- six slices thick sourdough bread
- one egg
- half cup milk
- one tsp cinnamon
- one tsp nutmeg
- half tsp vanilla extract
- superfine sugar (to serve)
- maple syrup (to serve)
1. Preheat oven to 375⁰F. In a medium mixing bowl, combine brown sugar, maple syrup, and black pepper.
2. Coat the bacon slices with the sugar mixture and lay flat on a wire rack on top of a baking sheet. Bake for 18-20 minutes, or until crispy. Let stand to cool.
3. In a large mixing bowl, combine egg, milk, cinnamon, nutmeg, and vanilla extract, whisk until thoroughly mixed.
4. Coat one slice of bread in the egg mixture and transfer to a greased pan on medium heat. Cook 2-3 minutes until edges begin to brown, then flip. Once cooked, remove from heat, and repeat for each slice of bread.
5. Once cooled, break the bacon slices into 1” pieces.
6. To serve, top French toast slices with bacon pieces and drizzle with maple syrup and sprinkled superfine sugar.