Superfood Salmon Salad
Filled with fresh ingredients and vibrant colours, this superfood salmon salad is the perfect summer meal! Easily made on the stovetop or the grill, this recipe makes a great weeknight dinner or a simple meal prep idea for a week’s worth of delicious lunches.
See more from Stephanie Kay at www.kaynutrition.com
- two fillets salmon
- two cups well-packed kale
- two cups well-packed arugula
- one cup roughly chopped radicchio
- one avocado, peeled and chopped
- one cup seeds like pumpkin or sesame
To make the dressing:
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 1 shallot, minced
- 1 clove garlic, grated
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- In a small jar or bowl, add the dressing ingredients, whisk until well combined, and set aside.
- Pat salmon dry with paper towel to remove excess moisture and season fillets generously with salt and pepper on both sides.
- Heat oil in a cast iron skillet on medium-high heat and let the pan heat up for a couple minutes. Flick a few drops of water into the pan to test if it's hot enough. If the water sizzles and evaporates almost immediately, the pan is ready to go.
- When the pan is ready, add salmon to the skillet, skin side up, and cook for 4-5 minutes until salmon is cooked ¾ of the way up the fillets. Flip and continue to cook for another 2-3 minutes until salmon is cooked through.
- While the salmon is cooking, separate kale, arugula, radicchio, avocado and pumpkin seeds across two bowls.
- Cover the salads with the dressing, dividing it evenly across the bowls, and toss until the salad is well coated with the dressing.
- Once salmon is cooked, top each salad with a fillet of salmon and season with additional salt and pepper to taste.
NOTE: Salmon can also be cooked on a grill or BBQ. Preheat grill to medium-high, rub salmon with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. When the grill is ready, place salmon fillets skin side up on the grill, cook for 4-5 minutes until grill marks form and salmon easily released from the grill, then flip and cook for an additional 3-4 minutes until salmon is cooked through.