Steak and Brie Sandwich
Filled with tender and juicy steak, ooey-gooey cheese, and sweet caramelized onions, this steak sandwich is perfect for a hearty lunch or simple dinner.
See more from Stephanie Kay at www.kaynutrition.com
- 1 sirloin steak
- 4 slices crusty bread
- 6 slices brie cheese
- ½ red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 cup arugula
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons Djion mustard
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoon butter
- Salt & pepper
- Heat one tablespoon of olive oil and one tablespoon of butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add sliced onion and sauté for 5 minutes or until starting to soften. Add a pinch of salt, reduce the heat to low, and continue cooking, stirring them every few minutes to prevent them from sticking and colouring too much in any one place, until dark-coloured, about 10 to 15 minutes.
- Preheat a grill pan or cast-iron skillet to medium-high. Add the remaining tablespoon of olive oil and remaining tablespoon of butter to the pan and allow to melt. Place steak on a cutting board and season generously with salt and pepper on both sides.
- Once the grill pan is hot, add steak to the pan and cook until golden brown and slightly charred, 4 to 5 minutes. Turn the steak over and continue to grill 3 to 5 minutes for medium-rare, 5 to 7 minutes for medium or 8 to 10 minutes for medium-well. For perfect cooking, it is ideal to use an instant-read thermometer to determine when your steak is cooked to your liking (125°F for rare, 130-135°F for medium-rare, 140°F for medium). Once cooked, remove the steak from the pan and transfer it to a cutting board or plate to rest for about 5 minutes before slicing.
- Once the steak has rested, place it on a cutting board and slice, against the grain, into thin strips.
- Once the onions are caramelized and the steak has been sliced, begin preparing the sandwiches. Layer bottom slice of bread with mustard, slices of steak, brie cheese, caramelized onions, arugula, and top with the second slice of bread spread with mayonnaise.