Healthy Chicken Fajita Bowls
The combinations for these chicken fajita bowls are endless. Grab your dish, you'll be eating a few servings today!
See more from Scrambled and Scrumptious at www.scrambledandscrumptious.com
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- 2 tsp chilli powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp granulated sugar
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1 cup rice (dry)
- 1lb boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 + 1/2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup red bell pepper, sliced (approx. 1)
- 1 cup orange bell pepper, sliced (approx. 1)
- 1 cup red onion, diced (approx. 1)
- 540ml black beans drained and rinsed (1 can)
- 1 cup frozen corn, thawed
- 4 tbsp shredded cheddar cheese
- Cook rice according to package instructions and set aside. Whisk together the fajita seasoning ingredients in a small bowl until well combined. In a medium bowl, stir together the chicken breast cubes, one tablespoon of olive oil, and two-thirds of the fajita seasoning mix until the chicken is well and evenly coated. Set aside the remaining third of fajita seasoning.
- Heat a large non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Once the pan is hot, add the red and orange pepper slices without any oil. Let them sit for 1-2 minutes until starting to char. Stir occasionally for another 2-3 minutes, until the edges are slightly charred and the peppers are just starting to soften. Remove the peppers from the pan and set them aside.
- Now add the chicken to the pan and let sear on each side, approximately 2-3 minutes per side. Stir only occasionally to allow the chicken to get seared. Once cooked through, remove the chicken from the pan and set it aside. Reduce heat to medium-low and add the remaining half tablespoon of olive oil. Add the red onion and let cook, stirring occasionally until starting to soften approximately 2-3 minutes. Add the corn and black beans and sprinkle with the remaining fajita seasoning. Stir to combine. Cook until the beans and corn are heated through, approximately 3 minutes, and remove from heat.
- Assemble your fajita bowls! In each bowl add the rice, charred peppers, seared chicken, black beans and corn, and 1 tablespoon of shredded cheddar. Add any of your other favourite toppings and enjoy!