Mediterranean Braised Chicken with Cauliflower and Chickpeas
Welcome to flavour town, these Mediterranean Braised Chicken Bowls with Cauliflower and Chickpeas are soon to be a household favourite!
See more from Scrambled and Scrumptious at www.scrambledandscrumptious.com
- 1lb boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 1 small head cauliflower, sliced into 1cm wide steaks
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp dried rosemary
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp turmeric
- 2 cloves garlic, diced
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 3/4 cup low sodium chicken broth
- 398ml canned chickpeas, drained and rinsed (1 can)
- feta cheese
- fresh dill
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/4 cup tahini
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp cumin
- 3 tbsp cold water (more or less depending on your preferred consistency)
For the Chicken:
- Season chicken pieces with salt and pepper and set aside. Heat an oven-proof non-stick skillet over medium-high heat until it is nice and hot. Add the cauliflower to the pan in a single layer and let it sit and sear until it is charred approximately 2 to 3 minutes. Flip and repeat on the other side. While the cauliflower cooks, toss the chicken with olive oil, lemon juice, oregano, rosemary, thyme, onion powder, paprika, turmeric, and diced garlic cloves.
- Once the cauliflower has been seared on both sides, remove it from the pan and set it aside. Turn heat on the skillet to medium heat and add the chicken to the pan and leave it to sear until golden brown. Once the first side of the chicken is nicely seared, approximately 3 to 5 minutes, flip and repeat to sear on the other side. You will know when the chicken is ready to be flipped when it comes off the pan easily.
- Add white wine and chicken stock and allow the liquid to deglaze the pan. Stir and scrape the bottom of the pan to release the brown bits on the bottom. Add the chickpeas and seared cauliflower to the skillet and reduce to low heat so the broth is simmering. Cover and let cook for 15 to 20 minutes, until the chicken is cooked through and its internal temperature reaches 165F.
- Once the chicken is fully cooked, Serve over rice with the tahini sauce, sprinkle with fresh dill, feta cheese, and a little olive oil. Enjoy!
For the Tahini Sauce:
- Add the lemon juice and garlic to a small bowl and stir together. Let is sit for a couple of minutes.
- Add the tahini, salt, and cumin and whisk together. It will be quite stiff.
- Add the cold water a little at a time and whisk it in. It will get much smoother really quickly! Once you've whisked in enough water to reach your desired consistency, stop. Serve over your chicken and enjoy!