Spinach and Artichoke Chicken Skillet
A rich and creamy one pan skillet filled with all of the flavours of a spinach artichoke dip
See more from Stephanie Kay at www.kaynutrition.com
- 4 chicken breasts, boneless, skinless
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup broth, chicken or vegetable
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon flour
- ½ cup cream
- ¼ cup milk
- 1 (14 oz.) can artichoke hearts, strained and roughly chopped
- 2 cups spinach, roughly chopped
- ¼ cup parmesan cheese, freshly grated
- Salt & Pepper
- Place the chicken breasts on a cutting board and season generously with salt and pepper on both sides.
- In a large pan or skillet on medium-high heat, warm the olive oil, then add chicken breasts and cook for 5-6 minutes per side or until golden brown. Once the chicken is cooked, remove it from a pan, transfer to a plate, and set aside.
- In the same pan, reduce the heat to medium, add diced onion and cook for 4-5 minutes until tender and translucent. Add garlic and cook for an additional minute until fragrant.
- Add artichokes and spinach to the pan and stir gently to combine with the onion mixture.
- Add butter to the pan, allow to melt a little, then add the flour and stir to combine with the vegetable mixture.
- Add broth and, using a wooden spoon or spatula, scrape up all of the tasty bits from the bottom of the pan. Then increase the heat to medium-high and continue to cook for 2-3 minutes until the broth reduces slightly.
- Add cream and milk and allow to cook for another 2-3 minutes until it’s just bubbling and the sauce starts to thicken.
- Add parmesan cheese, stir until well combined, and continue to cook for a couple of minutes or until the sauce is rich and creamy. Taste and season with additional salt and pepper as needed.
- Once the sauce is ready, return the cooked chicken breasts to the pan, slightly submerging them in the spinach and artichoke mixture, and cook everything for another minute or so, just long enough to warm the chicken.