Chicken Sausage Skillet
This one-pan dish is perfect for any weeknight meal! Although this recipe calls for white beans, you could also use a pasta of your choice, such a penne, if you prefer.
Time: 30 minutes
- 4 chicken sausages
- 2 x 14oz can white kidney beans, strained and rinsed
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 white onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- ½ teaspoon fennel seeds, crushed
- ½ teaspoon crushed chillies (optional)
- 4 tomatoes, diced
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- ¼ cup water
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- Fresh basil, to serve
- Heat a drizzle of olive oil in a large skillet on medium heat, add sausages and cook until golden on all sides. Once cooked through, remove from the pan and set aside.
- In the same skillet, add another drizzle of olive oil along with onions and garlic and cook for 3-4 minutes until tender. Add oregano, thyme, fennel and chillies and cook for an additional minute until fragrant.
- Add bell pepper and diced tomatoes, season with salt and pepper, and cook until peppers are tender.
- Once vegetables are tender, stir in tomato paste and water until well combined. (Add additional water as needed.)
- Slice sausages into ¼ or ½ inch pieces and add to the sauce to simmer on low for 10 minutes.
- Add beans to the skillet and gently stir in to combine. Allow to cook for an additional 5 minutes until sauce has thickened, and season with additional salt and pepper to taste.
- Garnish with fresh chopped basil to serve.
Want to learn more? Click here for the step-by-step video.
Stephanie Kay Nutrition