DIY Burrito Bowls
DIY Burrito Bowls are a great way to please a crowd while keeping time in the kitchen to a minimum. This simple recipe makes a great weeknight meal or fun party dinner for people of all ages.
See more from Stephanie Kay at www.kaynutrition.com
- one lb ground beef
- one yellow onion, diced
- two cloves garlic, minced
- one tsp butter or olive oil
- one tsp chilli powder
- one tsp cumin
- one tsp paprika
- one tsp sea salt
- one head romaine lettuce, shredded
- one cup white rice, dry
- two ripe avocados
- one cup salsa, fresh or store-bought
- one cup corn, fresh or frozen
- one bunch coriander, roughly chopped
- two limes, cut into wedges
- sea salt
- Optional: hot sauce, cheese
1. In a small pot, add rice, 2 cups of water and a pinch of sea salt. Bring to a boil and then reduce to a simmer for 15 minutes (or as indicated on package) until rice can be fluffed with a fork.
2. In a large skillet on medium heat, add oil and sauté onion until translucent, about 3-4 minutes.
3. Add the garlic and cook for another 1 minute, ensuring it does not burn.
4. Add the ground beef to the pan, season with sea salt, and cook until browned on all sides. As the ground beef begins to cook add the chilli powder, cumin and paprika and ensure it is well combined with the beef and continue to cook until no longer pink.
5. While the beef is cooking, prepare the vegetables. Roughly chop the lettuce into bite size pieces, rinse corn under hot water to thaw (if frozen), cut lime into wedges and roughly chop coriander.
6. To make a quick guacamole, remove avocado flesh from both avocados and add to a bowl. Season with a pinch of salt, a handful of chopped coriander, add the juice of half a lime and use a fork to mash it all together.
7. Add chopped romaine, guacamole, salsa, corn, coriander and lime wedges to separate bowls for service.
8. Once the rice and the beef are cooked, transfer them to two separate bowls for service.
9. Place all bowls on the table to build a DIY burrito bowls bar and combine the ingredients to build the bowl of your choice.