Seared Scallops with Herb & Garlic Pasta
Ready in minutes, scallops are the perfect weeknight meal and, when paired with a fragrant pasta dish, are something the whole family is sure to love.
- eight scallops, patted dry
- 200 g spaghetti, dry
- three tbsp olive oil
- two cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- one shallot, minced
- half tsp chilli flakes
- half lb cherry tomatoes, halved
- quarter cup mixed herbs, such as basil, parsley, and mint, plus more to serve
- fresh parmesan to serve (optional)
- black pepper
1. Bring a large pot of well-salted water to a boil. Add pasta and cook according to package directions. Once cooked, drain pasta, reserve a ¼ cup of the pasta water, and set pasta aside.
2. While the pasta is cooking, pat the scallops dry and season with salt and pepper on both sides.
3. In a large skillet, add olive and heat until oil is hot. Add scallops, working in batches if needed to not crowd the pan, and cook for 2-3 minutes per side until golden and crisp. Once cooked, transfer scallops to a plate and set aside.
4. In the same pan, add the garlic and shallots and cook for 1-2 minutes until tender.
5. Add cherry tomatoes, chilli flakes, season with salt and pepper, and cook for another 3-4 minutes until tomatoes begin to break down.
6. Add the pasta water, stir to combine, and cook for an additional 1-2 minutes to help reduce the water and thicken the tomato mixture.
7. Add pasta to the pan and toss to coat the noodles. Add fresh herbs and toss again to combine.
8. To serve, add pasta to a bowl, top with scallops, and sprinkle with additional fresh herbs and fresh parmesan as desired.