Spanish-style Shrimp Paella
This simple shrimp paella boasts big Spanish flavours but comes together in under 30 minutes and in one pot, making it a great weeknight meal.
See more from Stephanie Kay at www.kaynutrition.com
- two tbsp olive oil
- one small onion, minced
- three cloves garlic, minced
- one large tomato, diced
- one red bell pepper, diced
- three oz dried chorizo, diced
- one and a half cups Arborio or short-grain white rice, dry
- one and a half tsp paprika
- one pinch saffron (optional)
- quarter tsp sea salt
- one pinch black pepper
- three cups chicken or vegetable broth
- one cups peas, fresh or frozen
- one lb shrimp, thawed
1. In a large cast-iron pan or heavy bottom skillet, warm olive oil on medium heat.
2. Add onion and garlic and cook for 2-3 minutes until tender. Add diced chorizo and cook for an additional 2-3 minutes until fat renders slightly and it begins to brown.
3. Add rice, paprika, salt and pepper and cook, stirring frequently, for approximately 1 minute until fragrant.
4. Add broth and saffron (optional) and bring to a simmer, cover and cook without stirring until the rice is tender and most of the liquid is absorbed, approximately 18 to 20 minutes.
5. Once complete, add peas and shrimp, submerging them slightly in remaining liquid, and cook for an additional 3-4 minute until opaque.
6. Season with additional salt and pepper to taste and serve immediately, or store in the fridge in an airtight container for up to 3 days.