Cinnamon Short Rib Tacos with Apple and Carrot Slaw
These tacos are what you make when you want warm fall flavours wrapped up in taco form. The perfect weekend meal!
See more from Kylie at www.instagram.com/salt edsunday
- five packages Korean Style Miami Short Ribs
- three quarter cup brown sugar
- three tbsp paprika
- three tbsp chili powder
- three tbsp chinese 5 spice powder
- one tbsp garlic powder
- one tbsp sea salt
- one tbsp cinnamon powder
- half tsp fennel seed
- half tsp cardamom
- half tsp ginger powder
- half cup soy sauce or tamari
- quarter cup maple syrup
- two tbsp sesame oil
- two tbsp rice vinegar
- one small napa cabbage, thinly sliced
- half small red cabbage, thinly sliced
- three apples, julienned
- five carrots, julienned
- quarter pineapple, diced
- three limes, juiced
- one tbsp red wine vinegar
- one tbsp rice wine vinegar
- one tbsp soy sauce or tamari
- one tbsp maple syrup
- one tsp sesame oil
- one tsp cayenne powder
- one tsp paprika powder
- quarter cup mayonnaise
- three quarter cup sour cream
- quarter cup milk
- half lime, juiced
- one lime, zested
- sea salt to taste
- 20 soft corn tortillas
- cojita cheese or feta cheese
- pickled onions
- lime juice
- Double wash short ribs, this removes any excess fat. Place them on a paper towel and pat to dry. Spray a large baking pan (I used a 11x14 pyrex glass pan) add all of your short ribs to the pan, set aside.
- Mix all dry ingredients for dry rub, including brown sugar, split into 2 bowls, set aside. In a small bowl whisk soy sauce, maple syrup, rice vinegar and sesame oil together. Pour wet mixture over all of the ribs, make sure all are coated. Sprinkle half of dry rub over all of short ribs, rub the dry rub into the ribs and make sure they are well coated. Reserve the other half of the dry rub for once the ribs are cooked. Cover the ribs and place in the fridge for 4 - 48 hours to marinate. Do not leave them in the fridge for longer than 48 hours.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Take short ribs out of fridge and leave at room temperature for at least 1 hour before cooking. Cover the ribs tightly with foil and bake at 325 for 4 hours, for the last 30 minutes of the bake, remove the foil and bake uncovered. Alternatively you can bake the ribs at 350 degrees F, for 2 - 3 hours covered, for the last 30 minutes of the bake, remove the foil and cook uncovered.
- During the cooking time, prepare the slaw + crema. (recipes below)
- When the ribs are done cooking, remove them from the oven. The bones should fall right out, discard the bones.
- You can either shred all of the meat by hand or you can place all of your meat in a kitchen aid and mix it on low with the whisk attachment, this will quickly shred your meat.
- Once shredded, add a couple tablespoons of your dry rub and toss to coat, you can add more if you wanted more of a dry rub flavour.
- Add the cabbages, apple, carrots, pineapple and cilantro to a large bowl. In another small bowl, whisk together the lime juice, rice vinegar, red wine vinegar, maple syrup, sesame oil, soy sauce, cayenne and paprika. Pour the dressing over the slaw and toss well to coat. Place in the fridge until ready to serve. The slaw can be made the night before.
- In a small bowl whisk together mayonnaise, sour cream, milk, lime zest, lime juice and salt. If you want a thinner crema, add more milk. If you want a thicker crema, use less than the set 1/4 cup of milk. The crema can be made the night before.
- Char the corn tortillas over an open gas stove top flame, or heat them in a pan. Layer in your short rib meat, apple slaw, crema, cilantro, cojita cheese and pickled onions...Enjoy!